Date:      Fri, 12 May 2000 21:02:23 -0700
From:      Yann Ramin <yramin@redshift.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Funny Network Transit Delays

Hi there.  I have an interesting problem (figured it out myself) but I'm
wondering why it is occuring.

I have a setup with Two FreeBSD machines (3.2 and 4.0 RELEASE), a Windows
machine, and a NetBSD machine.  The NetBSD machine has three 3Com 3C509/B=
 NICs
(ISA) and acts as a router to three subnets, one per machine.  When I FTP
something from the 4.0 to the 3.2 box, performance sucks.  And not that t=
he
NetBSD machine is too slow, it seems neither the 4.0 or 3.2 is using the
network like it should.  Looking at the hub, I'm getting a pattern like t=
his:

Activity(3 secs)  --  Pause (4 secs) -- Activity (2 secs) -- Pause (1 sec=
) --
Activity (7 secs) -- Pause (7 secs)

and on for a total throughput of 80KB/s.  The same occurs from Windows to=
 the
4.0 box with Samba. I tried installing FreeBSD on the router, with no luc=
k.
The only solution I could come up with was to:

sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.sendspace=3D2900
sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.recvspace=3D2900

This brings performance up to about 400KB/s, which is "ok" because of the=
 extra
latency of the router.  I have another similar situation with two 4.0 box=
es and
iMacs running on two Cisco Catalyst 2924XL switches.  If I use a plain
vanilla 10Base hub I get a cool 620KB/s.  Does anyone have any idea what =
is
causing this?

Yann

Yann Ramin=09=09=09atrus@atrustrivalie.eu.org
Atrus Trivalie Productions=09www.atrustrivalie.eu.org
=09=09=09=09irm.it.montereyhigh.com
Monterey High IT=09=09www.montereyhigh.com
ICQ =09=09=09=0946805627
AIM=09=09=09=09oddatrus
Marina, CA

"All cats die.  Socrates is dead.  Therefore Socrates is a cat."
=09- The Logician

=09# fortune
"To be responsive at this time, though I will simply say, and therefore
this is a repeat of what I said previously, that which I am unable to
offer in response is based on information available to make no such
statement."