Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 16:52:42 -0400
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cursor (trackpoint) "creep" with moused?

--==_Exmh_1812050734P

Hi,

Most of the time, my trackpoint works great with moused, under X
(normal) or in a VT.

Sometimes, it'll start to "creep" in some direction or other. I've been
seeing this for ever (e.g. since 4.0-STABLE), on more than one HP laptop.

This "creeping" often starts relatively slowly and gets worse, sometimes
it's very
extreme, zooming around like crazy..

It always "creeps" in the same direction when it starts (until
corrected), but it could "creep" in almost any direction. Sometimes,
it'll just spontaneously correct itself...

I recently discovered that it can be rectified by switching to a VT
(where it'll continue to creep for up to maybe 30-45 seconds, then it'll
fix itself), and then it'll be fine under X after switching back, so it
look like something related to the VT-switching "heals" it :-)

I run moused, and the X (4.2) config uses Protocol Auto and
/dev/sysmouse.

The other day, I noticed cursor creep whilst playing mp3's (via 'xmms'),
and the audio (Maestro3) "stuttered" really badly as soon as the creep
started, effectively playing at maybe 25% of normal speed.

As soon as the cursor stopped "creeping" (due to the VT switch), audio
playback went back to normal. I've only seen this once, and I've
certainly been playing mp3's before when it's been creeping...

I'm just curious as to why this might be - the trackpoint "creep", that
is - does anyone have any ideas? :-)

Regards,

AS

--==_Exmh_1812050734P