Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2006 14:14:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Philip Hallstrom <freebsd@philip.pjkh.com>
To:        Greg Groth <ggroth@gregs-garage.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Subversion web development question.

>> At this point you can manage your files on your workstation and immediately
>> check your results.
>>
>> Then when happy, you can commit your changes with SVN and they get
>> committed to the repository.
>>
>> You don't need subversion to move files into your web tree.  That's not
>> what it does.
>
> Fair enough, so should I assume then that the files need to be moved using
> SSH (for example) after su-ing  to root?  If so, I suppose I would be better
> off then just setting up Apache on my desktop, testing locally, then moving
> the files back to the server?

Why would you need to be root?  Here's what we do at work:

The development server is at the data center (since we're all remote).
Apache has been configured to run several name based virtual servers and
looks for the document root in a 'cpr' in our home directory. (cpr is the
initials of our project)

For those of us that like the CLI and working directly on the server, the
'cpr' directory is also our subversion working directory.  So I edit a
file, test it, like it, commit it. repeat.

Our designers don't like CLI.  What we've done for them is to set them up
with TortioseSVN on their workstations.  They check out the repository on
their desktop.  They make changes.  When they want to test, they run rsync
(via cygwin and a shell script) that syncs only the files they've changed
(and skips all the .svn sub dirs) up to the server.  They test.  They
like, they commit using TortioseSVN.  All of thise happens over a SSH
tunnel.

At no point in any of this do any of us need to be root....

If you can get your dev environment running locally it will be easier
since you won't have to "upload to test", but depending on your situation
that might not be reasonable.

-philip