Date:      Thu, 03 Oct 1996 07:43:08 -0400
From:      Advanced Digital Research <adrl@whoweb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   more install problems

I am still having problems with FreeBSD and my system and would
appreciate any help the experts can provide.  I've already received some
excellent suggestions to try but unfortunately none of them have
resolved the problems I'm seeing.  I must have something setup wrong
with the mouse due to the X error I'm receiveing, but I'm out of ideas
at this point.

1.) Can not boot custom kernel.
No matter what I try, I can ONLY boot the generic kernel as shipped,
or the GENERIC kernel with the XSERVER option and psm0 device built in
it.  I have tried starting with GENERIC and adding in the things I
*think* I need, and I've tried starting with LINT and removing the
things I *don't* think I need.

In both cases, the kernel builds without errors, but the system hangs
immediately after echoing the text and data information.

2.) X will not run under the GENERIC kernel
I am no longer getting system panics, however I do receive the following
error:
	Fatal Server Error
	Cannot open mouse

	xinit: no such file or directory (errno 2): unexpected signal 13

I have /dev/psm0 /dev/mse0 and /dev/mouse built in /dev.