Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 1997 08:20:19 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        tarkhil@mgt.msk.ru
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alexander B. Povol's mail

> I'm running FreeBSD-2.2.2-stable on P-133, with EtherExpress card
> (fxp0 interface). Sometimes (about 3-4 times per week) I'm getting
> troubles with IP. 127.0.0.1 pings ok, and my fxp0's address as well,
> but no other computer can see me, and I can't see any others.

127.0.0.1 is the loopback address.  You aren't ifconfig'ing the card
to actually have that address, are you?

> Putting fxp0 in promiscous mode heals the trouble in several seconds,
> but shutdown (without reboot) doesn't help. Routing tables remains
> unchanged.

The 127.0.0.1 is not normally something that has anything at all to
do with the card driver.  Instead, it is internally looped back; it
is a simulated interface.  I don't see how shoving the interface
into promiscuous mode would help.

Perhaps you are RIP'ing out that your address is 127.0.0.1?  This
should give the arp tables on all the machines that are listening
a fit.  If you ever get a RIP back, you are probably screwed.
Also, all loopback traffic on those machines (depending on how their
routing code is written) would be bounced through your machine.

I truly hope you aren't using it for the card address.  8-).

> It happened at both day and night, the only program that
> could receive something thry TCP/IP was sendmail.

Sendmail specifically avoids domain suffixing on lookup, among other
things; many programs don't, so it's probably working because of
that; that's what made me think you might be using 127.0.0.1 as a
real interface address, above.

PS: use a subject line so you can recognize a reply, and break your
lines at 80 columns so it's easier break out relevent lines when
someone sends you a reply.

PPS: if you still have problems, it would be useful for you to provide
the output of the following network control functions:

netstat -r
arp -a
ifconfig -a

If DNS is clobbered, you may need to use the '-n' option to get real
output instead of hanging forever waiting on a host lookup.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.