Date:      Wed, 05 Apr 2000 08:39:52 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Legato client for Linux under FreeBSD 4.0 ...

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> When I try and install, with my minimal knowledge of rpm's, I get:

> athena# rpm -i lgtoclnt-rh-5.1.0-2.i386.rpm
> failed to open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm
>
> error: cannot open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm
>
> knowing as little as I do about rpm's, I haven't got a clue on where to
> even *start* looking, and am hopign that someone can help?

If you use a FreeBSD native install (the one used by default), you have
to specify the proper installtion root and such:
	rpm --root /compat/linux --ignoreos

There may be other options, such as --dbpath...

If you use the Linux version of RPM (installed by linux_base), you don't
have to do anything different except that you must run
/compat/linux/bin/rpm instead of just rpm. WARNING: The version of RPM
installed by linux_base is newer than the FreeBSD native one and using
the Linux version automaticly converts the RPM database into a format
not being understood by the FreeBSD native RPM...

HTH,

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org