Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 1996 08:47:53 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Acrobat Reader 3.0 Beta for Linux! (fwd)]

In message <Pine.AUX.3.94.960926195150.12329B-100000@covina> Jake Hamby writes:
: I'd like to comment:  Notice the wording in the announcement and on
: Adobe's Web page which says it _only_ has been tested on Yggdrasil Fall
: edition.  Does that give you an indication how _afraid_ commercial authors
: are of claiming support for the divergent varieties of Linux distributions
: out there that they haven't tested?

The Linux groups report that it works well everywhere.

: Having a single distribution of FreeBSD has always been a _big_ win for
: us, IMHO. However the fact that FreeBSD runs a variety of different Linux
: versions and is nowhere near 100% compatible from a userland perspective,
: implies that the differences between the various Linux flavors are
: unlikely to cause programs like Acrobat Reader much trouble.  Therefore it
: appears that commercial vendors only "support" a single Linux flavor for
: political, rather than technical reasons....

Actually, it is a credibility issue.  If I say that it works on X Y
and Z when I've only tested X and it fails on Y or Z, I've lost
credibility.  Sure, it should work there, but if it doesn't, then I
look bad.  We had this same problem when we released OI on Linux.  We
required libc 4.2 and a kernel newer than 0.99p12.  However, we later
found out that libc 4.4 broke binary compatibility for C++ programs
(who care about those anyway)...  It was a mess.

Warner