Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2002 17:27:01 -0400
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <dochawk@psu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mail  "cannot create queue temp file" on new install

I installed stable, brought source up to date, and made world.

When I try to mail, I get a message to the effect:

collect: Cannot write dfg3MLI15o000166 (bfcommit,uid=10000,gid=25):
permission denied
queueup: cannot create queue temp file ./tfg3MLI16o000166, uid=1000:
Permission denied

Root does not get these messages, but other users do not receive
messages.  I'm also informed that mail is bouncing off the machine (
but I don't have the bounce messages).

I'm assuming that this just needs a simple tweak to /etc/groups, or
group or all write permission to a spool somewhere.

If it makes a difference, when I first ran adduser, it came up
defaulting to /home rather than /usr/home (there's a big drive mounted
on ./home)

hawk of less and less hair