Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 17:25:21 -0800
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Andy Doran <ad@psn.ie>, Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggestion: loosen slightly securelevel>1 time change restriction

On Apr 2,  1:42am, Andy Doran wrote:
} Subject: Re: Suggestion: loosen slightly securelevel>1 time change restric
} On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, Nick Sayer wrote:
} >
} > I suggest easing up slightly on the restriction. Say, negative steps of
} > more than a minute are disallowed. It would seem to me that this would
} > let xntpd operate correctly in most cases while still denying the
} > opportunity for serious mischief to hackers desiring to wreak havoc
} > with time warps.

I think that a minute is too much.  A second or so should be plenty.
Maybe this should be a system tuneable that can't be changed when
securelevel > 0.

} What if you continiously set the time back 59 seconds? If you made this
} change, you'd need restrictions on how *often* the time is changed too.

How about preventing a negative step from setting the time back further
than the most recent negative step?