Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 00:32:04 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Version Resolution?

> [ Versioning the development kernels ]
> >
> > I thought Rodney Grimes offered some code as well?
>
> I don't even know if Rod is still alive, since he's been really quiet.
> In any case, I didn't see any Rod code.
>
> > 2.2.5-STABLE-971118
>
> Where does the date come from?  If it's generated on your box, then it's
> of little use since it doesn't say which source tree it was built from,
> which vary wildly depending on where your sources came from.

The only way to get a reasonably useful date here would be to have an
automatic cvs posting on freefall every day to (say) sys/codedate.h:

  #! /bin/sh
  mkdir /tmp/$$
  cd /tmp/$$
  for f in . RELENG_2_2 RELENG_2_1_7; do
    cvs co -r $f -l sys
    sed 's,\(#define __FreeBSD_codedate\).*,\1 '`date +%Y%m%d` \
      sys/codedate.h >sys/codedate.h.new
    mv sys/codedate.h.new sys/codedate.h
    cvs update -m 'Bump date' -l sys
    rm -fr sys CVS