Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2000 10:35:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP- WF2Q and RED now available in -current

Luigi,

I was perusing your ip_dummynet web page, and noticed the following:

   ipfw add prob 0.33 pipe 1 ip from A to B
   ipfw add prob 0.5  pipe 2 ip from A to B
   ipfw add           pipe 3 ip from A to B
   ipfw pipe 1 config ...
   ipfw pipe 2 config ...
   ipfw pipe 3 config ...

afterwards, you describe:

  Given the right packet, the first rule will match with probability 1/3;
  in the remaining 2/3 of occurrence we move to the second rule, which
  will match with prob 1/2 (so overall 1/2*1/3 = 1/3), and the remaining
  1/3 of occurrence will move to the third rule, which has a deterministic
  match. We can then configure the three pipes as desired to emulate
  phenomena such as packet reordering etc.

My impression was that, at the IP level, a pipe match resulted in packets
being reinserted into the ruleset following the pipe rule.  With the
BRIDGE implementation, this would behave exclusively (one pipe per packet)
as a pipe implies an accept, but in the non-BRIDGE implementation, it
would allow multiple pipes per packet. I.e., a packet will always get hit
by the last rule, will be hit by the first rule 33% of the time, and by
the second 50% of the time.  As a result with IP level forwarding, 16.5%
of packets will hit all three pipes.

  Robert N M Watson