Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 16:13:31 +0800 (MYT)
From:      Dinesh Nair <dinesh@alphaque.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw fails between 10/17 and 11/6

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> Stop right there; the only supported way to rebuild your source tree
> is to make buildworld.  In this instance, there were header changes

ok, so the only fix is a buildworld/installworld combo. was hoping to
avoid that, but i guess if it needs to be done, it's gotta be done.

> > i know this sounds like a classic case of mismatch between userland and
> > kernel
>
> No, that would produce a runtime failure, not a compile failure.

it was a runtime failure which sparked off this whole thing, new kernal
and older ipfw binary coredumping.

> Not relevant; when headers change, they change, and you have to
> recompile code against the new version, not the old (i.e. by doing a

i understand that, but was sort of moaning that the headers have changed
midstream within a point release, instead of being committed against the
next point release. it's a minor bitch.

but thanks for the pointers anyways all, i'm off to go build world.