Date:      Tue, 03 Apr 2007 15:22:35 +0000
From:      "V.I.Victor" <idmc_vivr@intgdev.com>
To:        "Derek Ragona" <derek@computinginnovations.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:   Help! Mail to 'localhost' not staying local

>Check that localhost is defined in /etc/hosts and your name resolution is
>working in /etc/nsswitch.conf

Thanks for your continued input!

/etc/nsswitch.conf has never been changed:
group: compat
group_compat: nis
hosts: files dns
networks: files
passwd: compat
passwd_compat: nis
shells: files

/etc/hosts is also the same as years-back:
::1                     localhost.athome.net localhost
127.0.0.1               localhost.athome.net localhost
192.168.254.250         zebra.athome.net chloe