Date:      Sun, 03 Mar 2002 23:30:20 -0800
From:      Koroush Saraf <koroush@pacbell.net>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Routing question, Routed using one interface

Hi All,
I like to know why when I turn on ROUTED on my machines they don't discover
the attached subnets to the link. The scenario is below:

I' have several bsd computers each with one network card.  All the computers
sit on a shared Ethernet.  I like to perform some routing simulations
comparing ospf and rip.  So I have setup the computers so that each NIC has
several IP address aliases assigned.  When I turn on ROUTED I see a few
hello packets exchanged and very so often I see an IGMP multicast for the
router discovery protocol.  However, the routing tables remain as they were
before I turnon ROUTED.  So basically the aliased NIC IP addresses are not
being advertised.  Can you tell me how I can make routing work through these
aliased addresses?
Also I have addressed my computers in the 10.x.x.x range which is the
private IP address range and not internet routable.  Does ROUTED care about
the range of addresses in use or all IP addresses are using in the routing
table as valid routable addresses.  Just wanted to make sure this wasn't my
problem.
Thanks in advance for taking the time to suggest solution,
~Koroush Saraf