Date:      Sun, 10 May 1998 14:09:08 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Joey Garcia <bear@pacificnet.net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Jason Nordwick <nordwick@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU>, The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@threespace.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux as a Mozilla total reference platform

> Now we just have to figure how to get the attention of Proffessors and
> Teachers in these enviroments.  Got any ideas?

Professor and Teachers tend to be stubborn however they love to be
politically correct and to a lesser extent fashionable.

At least here in the US we can hit them  with:

1. The schools systems are alway crying about their budget and begging
    for more money . Well, FreeBSD is *free*, functionable and attractive
    and it runs in cheap platforms such as 386, 486 and FreeBSD makes
    a very nice and attractive server. I know some of you are parents
    and shool board meetings is a wonderful opportunity to
    ask the school board if they are willing to support Open Source
    OS such as FreeBSD and save money by doing so.

2.  Hit the goverment by asking them to promote FreeBSD as a way
     to save money and to encourage innovation. They are sinking millions of
     dollars going up against microsoft and by way of promoting or preferring
     Open Source OS such as FreeBSD they can be more effective in countering
     the monopolistic practices of Microsoft. We can start by sending
     letters to the DOJ and State Attorneys pointing out the virtues of
     FreeBSD for one statement from either group can propel FreeBSD to
     their fore-front . In this scenario the government and the people
     can make a difference. So perhaps the advocacy logo should be
     "You Can Make A Difference" .

3.  Use Mark Mayo's "FreeBSD In Academia" as a reference and hopefully
    as time goes on include others as a reference.

On the foreign government front , if they don't like to be controlled by
microsoft, FreeBSD offers a wonderful opportunity to motivate global
innovation. Additionally, if they wish to be directed and controlled
by microsoft, here in the US we don't mind 8) In other words, appeal
to their national egos to get off their butts and do something.

For the short term we need a nice letter to send to the DOJ and to
the State Attorneys asking them to block Win98 until Microsoft and
hardware friends allow support for Open Source OS platforms .  We can
cite that Ralph Nader's request to PC hardware vendors went totally
unheard and that this is just another example of the iron-grip
hold that microsoft has on the industry.

	Amancio