Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 16:45:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Christopher J. Michaels" <cjm2@27in.tv>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Firewall & DSL

Well, that depends...

The 5660 is a router, are you going to be using it as such?  or are you
disabling the routing functions and using it as a bridge?

* If you were going to use it as a bridge, you would then need 2 NIC's in
your BSD box.  One would go to the 5660 and the other would go out to
your switch.

The NIC going to the 5660 would be configured with your public IP address
(static, PPPoE, DHCP, etc...) the NIC go to the switch would then have a
private address on it and would be the default gateway for the rest of
your network.

* If you are going to use it as a router, I don't see how you would use
the FreeBSD box as a firewall as it would just be another device on your
private network block, no traffic would be passing _through_ it to the
other machines on your network.  I could think of a couple ways to make
this work, but they're rather convoluted and add unnecessary complexity.

--Chris