Date:      Sun, 24 May 1998 03:00:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        lfloyd@sonic.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compatibility with Ultra IDE drives?

Doug White said:

> 2.2.5 doesn't, so you get standard old IDE without any UltraDMA
> improvement. -CURRENT can grok UltraDMA and can give you the (supposed)
> performance boost.

Given you have a very fast machine to start with (like a fast P5 or
faster), bus-master DMA does help alot.  There is a very noticable
difference in responsiveness of the system under load with the
DMA.  I actually wasn't convinced until I mistakenly built a system
without the DMA, and noticed that it was somehow "slow."