Date:      Fri, 23 Dec 2011 12:23:27 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
To:        Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-current@freebsd.org" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, "igor@hybrid-lab.co.uk" <igor@hybrid-lab.co.uk>, Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>, "freebsd-performance@freebsd.org" <freebsd-performance@freebsd.org>, "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Subject:   Re: Benchmark (Phoronix): FreeBSD 9.0-RC2 vs. Oracle Linux 6.1 Server

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 2:38 AM, Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk> wrote=
:
> On 23/12/2011 02:56, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>> On Dec 22, 2011, at 3:58 PM, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com> =
wrote:

place. Now... in case someone here is willing to help instead of talking, f=
eel free to go to http://wiki.freebsd.org/BenchmarkAdvice and have a look w=
hat can be improved. The page is far from perfect and needs some additional=
 people which are willing to improve it.

ould be referenced from the benchmark page - would be great too. Any volunt=
eers? A first step would be to take he tuning-man-page and wikify it. Other=
 tuning sources are welcome too.

e wiki. The benchmark page gives contributor-access. If someone wants write=
 access create a FirstnameLastname account and ask here for contributor-acc=
ess.

ne-word notes can help (and _my_ english got already corrected by other peo=
ple on the benchmark page).

>>> I can say with certainty that this value belongs in /etc/make.conf
>>> (on RELENG_8 and earlier at least).
>>>
>>> src/share/mk/bsd.own.mk has no framework for MK_MALLOC_PRODUCTION,
>>> so, this is definitely a make.conf variable.
>> Take the advice in tuning(7) with a grain of salt because a number of su=
ggestions are really outdated. I know because I filed a PR last night after=
 I saw how out of synch some of the defaults it claimed were with reality o=
n 9.x+. And I know other suggestions in the manpage are dated as well ;/.
> There is a wiki page http://wiki.freebsd.org/SystemTuning which is
> currently more or less tuning(7) with some annotations, the idea being
> to sort out whats outdated/invalid with an aim of rewriting tuning(7) to
> be more accurate and useful. I'll grab any info in your pr thats not up
> there already to keep it updated if thats ok.

    Sure. Please take my suggestions (apart from the networking
sysctls) with a grain of salt as I didn't look at the sourcecode for
the filesystem ones (I was going off the top of my head and other
emails I had seen passed around).
    I'll update the tuning 'wiki' with mention of the new networking
defaults. If we want to make this manpage 'timeless', should we remove
mention of defaults and go off basic guidelines (if you set this
higher, you'll get better performance in scenario, X.Y.Z, etc)?
Thanks!
-Garrett