Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 09:41:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matt Barton <matt@webexc.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bind 9 and FreeBSD-Stable?

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Philip J. Koenig wrote:

> Are there any plans to switch to Bind 9 as the standard BIND release in
> FreeBSD any time soon?
>
> I note that 4.4-Release is still using 8.2.4, and since I haven't
> updated my sources for quite a while so I'm not sure if that has changed
> any.
>
> But given that BIND started out as the "Berkeley Internet Name Daemon",
> and that AFAIK much of its development still occurs on FreeBSD, doesn't
> it make sense to move in that direction since v9 seems to be fairly
> well-accepted these days?
>
> I've gotten stuck with multiple versions of BIND in FreeBSD before and
> I'd much rather just use the stuff that's part of the base distribution
> as it's more foolproof to update and keep track of.

My gut tells me that it'll be a while before the default FreeBSD version
of BIND is version 9.  There are many programs out there, as I understand,
that are incompatible with it, whereas they work fine with version 8.

One such application I know, for fact, that doesn't work with BIND 9 is
Lyris ListManagerSQL.  We have a customer of our running it one Windows
2000 and Lyris specifically told them not to configure the software to
query a BIND 9 server.  Works perfectly find with BIND 8.

I think this is more of a problem with Lyris than with BIND, but I am
guessing that we will have to wait for software developers to fix their
software before FreeBSD dares to switch BIND versions.

I have had no problems using the BIND 9 port and have been able to run it
without any conflicts.  I simply run everything within /usr/local instead
and disable the binaries for BIND 8.  I also disable the making of BIND 8
in my /etc/make.conf file.

--

Matt Barton
Webexcellence