Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 15:48:11 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Advice sought re MS Office compatibility

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 08:26:42AM -0600, D. Michael McFarland wrote:
> Don Tyson <tyson@stanfordalumni.org> writes:
>
> > Others on this list have suggested formatting in PDF using
> > dvipdfm or ps2pdf or some other utility.  Presumably that
> > would work for presenting the document, but probably not if you need
> > to pass it back and forth editing or changing, unless you
> > send a plain text file with it.
>
> I've tried that, and in fact it's my preferred way of interacting with
> coauthors who are making only trivial changes ("print it out, scribble
> on it and fax it back").  But we're all engineers in academia--control
> freaks to a man, and everyone wants to get his hands on the files.
>
> I'm coming to think my best bet is to be so productive that they never
> catch up :-), which is probably what I should be doing anyway.
>
> Thank you for your reply.  I posted my original message mostly to let
> off some steam, and it's good to know I'm not alone.

Is Wordperfect the answer ?
I don't know if the Linux version of it runs on FreeBSD, but I guess it
should (I didn't check the ports). Unlike Word, WP doesn't change it's
internal structure every 5 minutes, I believe it handles Word
documents...just a thought.

--
Regards
   Cliff Sarginson -- <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>