Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 16:29:03 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF, OS and ABI [was: Re: sysctl kern.fallback_elf_brand]

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 12:16:35AM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Technically, ELF would let you have binaries for multiple
> processor platforms and architectures in the same file, as
> long as those platforms could agree on who owns what section,
> by way of some common metadata.  There was a NeXTStep ELF
> that never panned out that could do bother 68k and x86 in
> the same binary.  I can't provide sources on this, sorry.

Darwin uses this or similar support.  The people from Apple has stated
that they want fat binary support in openpackages.  It's also been
suggested that this could save substantial space on the NetBSD package
CDs and could allow a single /usr/local for an entire cluster of
machines with different architectures without resorting to mounting
hacks or run scripts.  As FreeBSD continues to grow new architecture
ports this might be useful here as well.

-- Brooks

--=20

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy--