Date:      Mon, 03 Nov 2008 23:11:04 -0800
From:      perryh@pluto.rain.com
To:        joompz@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with FreeBSD

> I have some problem with my FreeBSD server. I have this:
>
> #########                                    ###########      #########
> # Linux1  #  -> ASA  -> Internet  -> # FreeBSD  #  -> # Linux2 #
> #########                                    ###########      #########
>
> If I run a ssh for Linux1 to FreeBSD, my connection freeze when
> the return of some command is a big text. Example:
>
> I make a ssh connection in the from the Linux1 to FreeBSD server,
> then, I execute some commands, like: 'pwd', 'whoami', 'ls /'...
> this work perfectly.  But, if I run some command that return a big
> text, like as: 'ls /dev/', or top, my connection freeze.
> If I try to access the Linux2, throught FreeBSD (redirect port on
> natd or redirect port with rinetd), the same thing happens.
>
> Is this a problem with FreeBSD? Someone know how I can fix it? Some
> sysctl?

One possible cause of this behavior is an MTU problem.  If something
in the Linux1 <==> FreeBSD path is dropping packets larger than X
(where X is something lower than the endpoints are expecting) you'll
see exactly this sort of symptom.

While the real solution is to fix whatever is dropping the packets,
it may be easier to restrict the MTU.