Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 00:33:50 -0700
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@internode.net>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>, smp@csn.net (Steve Passe)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS T2P4 and Adaptec 2940AU

At 12:49 AM 1/18/97 -0800, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

>Again, we (the consumer) are getting screwed by the manufactures, most
>if not all of them have stopped 2G and smaller SCSI drive production,
>and shifted the bottom of the IDE curve to 2G.  The smallest _current_
>production SCSI drive I can buy is 4G.
>
>1G and 2G drives can still be found in the channel, but most of these
>are OEM overruns and/or excess inventory liqudations (at premium
>prices since the high volume folks know they are a scarce product.)

Western Digital rwecently introduced 4 new SCSI drives, all 7200 RPM, 2.0
and 4.0 gig, with Ultra, and Ultra Wide versions of the two sizes.  The
prices are in line with other U/UW drives, at least around here (dealer
prices, Canada).

>Shelved due to lack of time, caused by manufactures who keep me
>running around trying to make their latest cost reductions work :-(.

At least you aren't the only one with the same problems.  :-(

Later......                                             <Doug>