Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:02:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>
To:        Rudolph Pereira <memetical@yahoo.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Via EPIA Mini-ITX motherboard

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Rudolph Pereira wrote:

> Just to drag this thread on a bit further ...
>
> I've been looking into these little boxes, thinking I could use one as a
> firewall/gateway. My one requirement is that it would need to have two
> PCI slots (one can be low-profile), and although I've seen PCI riser
> cards that can give me two slots, they've been rare,

And all the dual or triple slot ones I've seen also have an edge connector
that goes into another PCI slot on the mainboard, so I don't know that
they would even work.

> and cases that are suitable (i.e have the space, and back panels are
> compatible)  even rarer (I've yet to find one). Does anyone know of any
> such cases (it'd be even better if they're available in au)?

No, but if you find something, please post!  I've been searching for
something that is nice and small yet has more power than say a Soekris box
and can handle more than one or two ethernet cards.  Isn't there also
another mini form factor?  I see that places like Iron Systems and other
rack-mount outlets have some boxes that aren't mini-itx, but are still
only 14" deep (about the size of an old Cisco 25xx router)...

It also seems the built-in ethernet on the Via boards is not the best
either...

Charles