Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 1996 13:50:51 -0800
From:      Tim Baird <tim@print.gfmurray.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tcp/ip on ethernet problem

At 06:30 PM 11/26/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello again my friends... I am back to you with difficulties with my
machine....

>I have built a fbsd 2.1.5 machine for hooking up to a lan with a gateway to
>the Inet.  The machine is an AMD 133, with 20meg rem, a generic s3 video
>card, and an smc 8432bt pci ethernet card.  I am connected to the lan on
>coax in to a tigerhub.  The gate is a trailblazer backed by csu/dsu in to a
>t1.
>
>Enough of this... the problem is that I can not get a reliable ping to the
>gateway... I have everything setup fine with the kernel, best as I can tell,
>for the card.  I am on the inet 204.186.107.0  I have the addresss .6, the
>gateway is .254

If it is tp between the gateway and the hub, try going to a twisted pair
between your fbsd box and the hub.
Sometimes the hub is fouls up the full duplex of tp and the 1/2 duplex
nature of the coax....

>The arp information is all there, however when I ping to the gateway or any
>other machine on the network I get 90% loss on the ping... normally it takes
>19 for the first response, then I don't see anything until I get to ping #39
>or more...
>
>I don't think it is the cable, i have removed the segment of cable I am on,
>and went to a t tap that  another machine... (running nt351) works from and
>has no trouble.
>
>I don't know what else to try at this point... I think it is either protocol
>troubles, cable troubles, or my card is in trouble.
>
>Any help will be greatly appreciated
>
>Guy Silliman

Tim Baird

Dominus Fecit
"The Lord Made"

Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer etc. etc