Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 12:13:33 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        RexFelis <catlord17@yahoo.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building KDE3 from ports in 5.0 fails on libmng

On Monday 10 March 2003 11:07 am, RexFelis wrote:
> Hello, all:
>
> I am not terribly familiar with FreeBSD, but I am
> learning by getting my hands dirty.  To that end,
> I have installed and updated via CVSup, kernel,
> system and ports. (5.0-R to 5.0-R p4)
>
> Shortly after that, X started crashing and
> dumping me at the command prompt, and then KDE
> began having difficulties which caused it to fail
> starting programs and interprocess communications
> failed as well.
>
> Sensing an opportunity for more experience, I
> performed a 'pkg_delete -a' and then a 'make
> install" for Xfree86-4.  Eight hours later, when
> that was finished, I did a 'make install' for
> KDE3 as well.
>
> This has failed.  the script I have recorded
> reveals that libmng is what is causing the
> failure.  However, there are many error messages,
> and I cannot figure out how to transport the
> script from FreeBSD to Windows, Linux or a floppy
> disk to include in this request for help.

Did you build a new INDEX-5 after you cvsuped ports-all? I am not
running the release; however, as a test, I just tried making libmng and
I was able to build it just fine on my "tag=." system. Ports was
cvsuped and the INDEX files were created on 10 Mar @ 6:46 am.

The only thing that has changed in libmng in 4 months was a script
update of the Makefile to include the COMMENT= line. Was it the use of
libmng that killed the build or building libmng? The port tree for 5.x
now points to kde-3.1 and not the 3.0.5 version from the release. If
you didn't rebuild the INDEX* files, you are probably still pointing to
the 3.05 version in INDEX.

When I created this system, I installed everything from packages.
Rebuilding everything took masive amounts of time. It is an AMD 1600+
with 512 MB of memory.

kent

--
Kent Stewart