Date:      Sat, 11 Aug 2001 01:30:44 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.ORG>, obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can we please remove "green@FreeBSD.org" from the version string?

At 2:00 PM -0400 8/10/01, Brian F. Feldman wrote:
>"David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>  > Do you suggest we rename all of these so as to "descritiptively
>  > differentiate" them?  The GCC and GDB developers have asked me to
>  > _tweak_ (not rename) the version string to show these have
>  > FreeBSD'isms in them.  That is all that is needed to show
>  > something is "special" about our versions.
>
>None of those actually report their version numbers over the network
>and expect whatever is reading those version numbers to attempt to
>decipher them  and do the right thing according to what it is.

Are there any other versions of OpenSSH which report themselves
as being "person@host"?

>  > > It's far removed from being "plain" OpenSSH or "portable"
>  > > OpenSSH.
>  >
>>  This the "FreeBSD" added to the version string.
>
>How does that differentiate itself from just being "OpenSSH on
>FreeBSD"?    It's common for a network application to report
>part of the uname() in the  version string, and that's not what
>this is...

Maybe we could come up with something a bit better than the
plain word "FreeBSD".  It could report itself as "+FreeBSD-isms",
for instance.  But I do think it is very odd to have some service
announce a "version" which is just some person's email address.

Personally I'd rather the version string gave some vague hint as to
what the "special features" of this OpenSSH are, in case someone in
some other OS liked those special features, but didn't which to call
themselves green@freebsd.org, or even just plain "freebsd".

It's been a long, hot, CodeRed-plagued week, or I would try to think
up a variety of plausible strings we could use for a version.  I am
too tired to do that, but I will say that I really do not see any
advantage with using someone's email address as a version string.
It's not like you WROTE openssh, and we certainly would look stupid
if the version string included the email address of every single
developer who contributed significantly to openssh.  I see no good
reason why any one developer's name would deserve such a visible
acknowledgement for the work they've done, and yet everyone else
just gets listed in the source code or the man page.

That's just my own opinion, of course.