Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2017 08:32:17 +1100 (EST)
From:      Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Do I need /var/db/portsnap/distfiles and /usr/port/distfiles?

There is only the one FreeBSD box in my stable, hence I don't need to
build packages for others.  It's a somewhat minimalist box (all I can
afford), and I'd like to recover some space.  Can I just delete their
contents?

aneurin# du -sk /usr/ports/distfiles /var/db/portsnap/files
965198	/usr/ports/distfiles
106594	/var/db/portsnap/files

It will claw me back about 1GB, which for me is a big deal...