Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 1996 07:16:40 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "=?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?=" (Andrey A. Chernov) <ache@nagual.ru>
To:        gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI system becomes broken in -current?

> >Tagged queuing always work with it before recent days. I don't know about
> >any firmware upgrade needed for this drive. BTW, it is almost impossible
> >to get firmware upgrade in Russia or snail mail will costs so much money as
> >compared to new device price.
> >How do you know that firmware upgrade needed for this drive?
> >Could you please resend me your sources?
>
> Drive firmware upgrades are usually ftp-able and are downloaded to the
> drive on the user's system.  As for my sources, Gary Palmer mentioned some
> time ago that his 1060 would not work with tagged queueing and there is an
> entry in one of the Linux hardware FAQs about this drive.

What I find in Linux FAQ:
Some Conner CFP1060S drives may have problems with Linux and ext2fs. The symptoms are
inode errors during e2fsck and corrupt file systems. Conner has released a firmware upgrade to
fix this problem, contact Conner at 1-800-4CONNER (US) or +44-1294-315333 (Europe). Have
the microcode version (found on the drive label, 9WA1.6x) handy when you call.
I have 9WA1.68 label, so it seems my drive is affected.
BTW, I can't call any of this phones, International calls costs too much here.
If you got this upgrade somehow, please don't forget me...

> They probably have a quirk entry for it.  Either that, or there is a new
> bug in the driver.  The changes I made shouldn't have effected tagged
> queueing, so the bug should be reproducible with tagged queueing disabled.

I turn tagged queue off about two hours ago and extensively test
my drives under hard load. And still not have this bug, so it seems
it _is_ tagged queue related.

> >Could you please add device flags to turn tagged queuing on per-drive basis
> >instead on for whole controller? My second drive is new IBM disk which
> >works well with tagged queueing and I not want to turn it off for this drive
> >too.
>
> Don't you read your commit mail?  I added this feature to the new SCSI
> branch code last weekend.

Sorry, I not pay attention on SCSI branch, I track -current only.
My home SCSI drives is valuable enough for me to run experimental
code on them.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nagual.ru>