Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 2008 02:48:38 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sio => uart: one port is gone

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008, Andriy Gapon wrote:
 > on 15/09/2008 17:36 Ian Smith said the following:
 > > On Mon, 15 Sep 2008, Andriy Gapon wrote:
 > >  > This is a fairly standard and old machine with 2 COM ports.
 > >  > Recently (last Friday) I decided to update my RELENG_7 system and also
 > >  > to transition from sio to uart.
 > >  >  > This what I had before the upgrade:
 > >  > kernel: sio0: <16550A-compatible COM port> port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags
 > >  > 0x10 on acpi0
 > >  > kernel: sio0: type 16550A
 > >  > kernel: sio0: [FILTER]
 > >  > kernel: sio1: <16550A-compatible COM port> port 0x2e8-0x2ef irq 3 on acpi0
 > >  > kernel: sio1: type 16550A
 > >  > kernel: sio1: [FILTER]
 > >  >  > This is what I have now:
 > >  > uart0: <16550 or compatible> at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
 > >  > uart0: [FILTER]
 > >  >  > This is what I have in device.hints for uart:
 > >  > hint.uart.0.at="isa"
 > >  > hint.uart.0.port="0x3F8"
 > >  > hint.uart.0.flags="0x10"
 > >  > hint.uart.0.irq="4"
 > >  > hint.uart.1.at="isa"
 > >  > hint.uart.1.port="0x2F8"
 > >
 > > but it's shown as 0x2e8 above ..
 > >
 > >  > hint.uart.1.irq="3"
 > >  > hint.uart.2.at="isa"
 > >  >  > Precisely the same hints (s/uart/sio/) I had for sio.
 > >
 > > 0x2f8 is 'standard COM2' address .. did sio1 work ok at 0x2e8 before?

 > thank you, I guess I had a typo in my hints, but the port did work.
 > Looking at the old dmesg I see that sio devices are found 'on acpi0' as
 > opposed to uart now being found on 'isa0'.
 > Maybe this is another difference.

Does sound a bit odd; looks like the ACPI info trumped hints for sio.

 > Maybe sio was attached using some information from acpi, so hints were not
 > that important. But maybe the same acpi information is not applied to uart,
 > so it does depend on the hints.

Sounds a reasonable theory .. so does fixing that hint find the UART?
Maybe a verbose dmesg would provide more clues re uart's attachment?

 > If this guess is correct then this is a regression in sio=>uart transition,
 > if not, then I'll just correct my device.hints and shut up :-)

Or both :)  You'd think if ACPI info is available uart should use it,
but then if it's attaching to the isa bus instead, maybe not .. hmm.

cheers, Ian