Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 20:39:58 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE2 + XFree4..

Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On 21-Mar-01 Kent Stewart wrote:
> > > Well, startx won't work because the X binary is no longer setuid so you need to
> > > install the xwrapper port (like it says when the XFree-4 port installs :)
> >
> >  Nothing to do with that. I'm running as root and logged in as root on
> >  the console. It is dying with a message about a bad or missing
> >  library.
>
> Ahh..
> What message exactly?

I didn't save them. They belonged to libmng-0.9.3 and I had libmng-1.0
installed at that point. Libmng was required by qt-2.2.4 and on. I
ended up pkg_deleting and remaking everything from qt-2.2.4 up and the
messages disappeared. It was on a kvm shared setup and I'm not sure
which system couldn't do a startx.

> (PS logging in as root is bad :)

Try testing the install of a port on your system as a user. I happen
to like the dependancy view I get from pib. With a couple of
exceptions I also don't use FreeBSD to browse the Internet. First, my
server and gateway won't run x-windows. When you have a question on
KDE, you almost have to use konqueror to visit kde.org for help. That
is built into kde. You also get to visit kdevelop.org for the same
reason when you run it. I happen to hate Netscape on FreeBSD but will
use it over IE on a W2K machine. But there are some sites that I have
to go to that require IE. Their information simply doesn't show up on
Netscape. As long as I have both setups, I will use the one that
irritates me the least.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart