Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 20:22:45 -0800
From:      Wilfredo Sanchez <wsanchez@apple.com>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, julian@whistle.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apple's Open Source Projects

Matthew:
| Or give FreeBSD the ability to run OS X binaries in a power-pc
port.  That
| would be very useful.  I would, today, run out and buy OS X (
software ) if
| I could run it on a FreeBSD box.  Then I could run Apple apps.

  You need a lot more than binary compatibility. You'll need all the
the dynamic libraries which come with the OS, most of which are not
free, and you'll need to emulate and provide the Mach API to
userland. The Mac OS 8 "blue box" is a whole other matter.

Julian:
| I'm even tempted to see what it would take to add a FreeBSD
| compatibility to it..

  That may not be as hard; we've tried not to exclude that
possbility in the past. Probably not real easy, though. Certainly,
we'd be interested in adding that sort of thing to Darwin.

Luoqi:
| I doubt you could run mac apps, mostly likely the mac os is
another server
| parallel to the BSD server and you need the mach microkernel for that.

  We aren't running co-located servers. That's bloody slow. The
kernel is monolithic. Mach isn't very "micro," anyway.

	-Fred