Date:      Fri, 24 Sep 1999 09:22:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        dhw@whistle.com (David Wolfskill)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On hub.freebsd.org refusing to talk to dialups

> >From: "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
> >Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 03:00:55 -0700 (PDT)
>
> >Another thing that ISP coulds start doing (we are in process with
> >this now, but on a monitoring only basis, instead of a deny we
> >just log them) is to block all outbound from AS tcp 25 setup packets.
>
> Not quite sure I follow this.

ipfw add 10250 allow     tcp from ${smtpsmarthost} to any 25 setup out via lnc1
ipfw add 10259 allow log tcp from any to any 25 setup out via lnc1

This is placed on all AS border routers, anyone attempting to
do direct port 25 outbound from our AS trips 10259 and gets to talk
to me about what it is they are doing.

The comptete rules set is a fair bit more complicated than the above
as we are also a transit AS and I have to allow the port 25 setup traffic
from them to work correctly, so I can't just go make 10259 a deny at
this time.

> >This prevents your customers from being something that could get you
> >on the RBL or the DUL MAP for bad behavior, it also inforces the use
> >of your smart host relay, as it/they is/are the only way to get a
> >tcp port 25 setup completed.
>
> About the only positive thing I have to say about the DUL is that Vix
> stated that entries are placed on it at the request of the custodians of
> the netblock in question.

If that is the case then this is ideal.  Everyone should be using the
DUL, as the maintainer of that IP space has specifically stated that
they do not want or allow smtp setup connections from that IP space.

Thus by using the DUL you are simply helping a costodian implement
the policy they have already layed down.

> >Do you know about the RBL?  How do you feel about it?  We are using
> >it via DNS and BGP on a test basis right now.    I have had legitimate
> >important mail blocked at Freebsd.org due to the source being on the
> >RBL, but that is a price I am willing to pay.
>
> I'm far more comfortable with the use of the RBL than the DUL.

Given what you stated above I don't see how you could favor the
RBL over the DUL, the DUL is stated administrative policy, the RBL
is a reactive to bad behavior and in opposition to stated administrative
policy for almost every entry in it.

> Indeed, my externally-visible home SMTP server uses the RBL (but not the
> DUL).

You should probably run both.... I know I am going to go see what it
takes to intergrate DUL into our current scheme of things.  And submit
our IP dial up blocks for inclusion in the list.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                    rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net