Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 01:27:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi "the Wraith" Asami)
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com
Cc:        y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp, nate@mt.sri.com, motoyuki@FreeBSD.ORG, pcasidy@worldnet.fr, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which LAN PCCARD for FreeBSD (no PAO!)

Honestly, I was getting more than a little tired of all the "you suck"
"no, it's you that sucks" messages (paraphrased, of course).  I'm glad
at least Hosokawa-san and Jordan is injecting some reality check here.

 * From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>

 * It sounds to me like we're looking at the tail end of a long-standing
 * communications problem, and we probably need to work on resolving it
 * as the first order of business before even necessarily discussing code
 * and what needs to be done with it.

I agree.  It seems to me that what happened was what started as some
disagreements just snowballed with misunderstandings and language
barriers caused things to deteriorate into a pretty sad state.  Now
both sides are saying the other "rejected" their offer, which in
international politics usually means they don't want to talk to each
other. :)

 * I think we need to convene a periodic "working group meeting" if we
 * want to make real progress here, and I'm willing to fly to Japan a
 * couple of times a year if that's what it takes to foster closer
 * cooperation between the teams.  Once we get enough interest generated

Do we really need to go that far?  From Hosokawa-san's last post, it
seems the PAO folks have gotten things a little less centralized now
so maybe we can re-try our regular communications method, i.e.,
e-mails.

Another thing we have to do is to select a contact point on this side
of the Pacific.  Nate (as he said himself) isn't working on PCCARD
stuff anymore, so who's the point man now?  (Was it Warner?)

Also, we need firm committments from all parties involved to make this
work.  What we need are people who want to see some of the PAO
improvements merged into the mainlike code, not people who just want
to complain about broken stuff and attitude problems and stuff.

By the way, if it's going to be any help, I'm willing to sit in that
exchange and help resolve the language barrier issues.

 * Each and every one of you who's going to be at USENIX should therefore
 * make a point of contacting me once you arrive in Monterey, CA.  I'll
 * be at the Doubletree hotel (where the conference is actually taking
 * place, so that should be easy to remember) and you should definitely

The conference is in Doubletree?  I thought it was in the Conference
Center. :)  (BTW, I'm staying in Marriott.)

 * Somewhat on a similar but not directly related topic, I think it's
 * time to hold another FreeBSD PR event in Japan.  Wasn't Satoshi going
 * to speak at the next one, even?  I seem to remember that he agreed to,
 * anyway, and I'd be happy to go along and say a few words as well.  I'd
 * also welcome suggestions on where to hold it; please contact me off
 * the list if you've some ideas and we'll discuss projected costs,
 * staffing requirements, etc.

Great, tack a little message to me at the end of a long and unrelated
post which I happened to read just because I was interested in the
topic.  Now that's communication, Jordan! :>

Kidding aside, yes, I agreed to speak in the next one.  You guys were
supposed to come up with some timetable/schedule/whatever so we can
start planning.  (You can even save the entire lodging budget for me
if you hold the event in Tokyo. :)

Satoshi