Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 11:02:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposed new Bourne shell init files

Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de> wrote:
>Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org> wrote:
>> 	Commentary on my files. . . Using allexport instead of an explicit
>> 'export' for every variable makes the file easier to read, and gives a
>> novice user one less thing to worry about.

"allexport" seems to be missing from Solaris and other sh
implementations.  Perhaps "set -a" would be better.

>I think Sue has a made a good argument against allexport.

Do you have examples of a problem from "set -a"?  I've used "set -a"
and {t,}csh's `setenv` for years with no difficulties.

>> # General aliases
>> alias la='ls -A'
>> alias lf='ls -AF'
>> alias ll='ls -loaF'
>> alias m=$PAGER
>> alias g='egrep -i'
>
>These are *very much* a matter of taste. I don't like a single one
>of them, but then again I wouldn't want to force mine on anybody
>else.

Exactly. Do we really need *any* default shell aliases?  I hope not,
especially since some of these conflict with my own.

--
Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting