Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2007 16:39:38 -0500
From:      "Maxim Khitrov" <mkhitrov@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB devices fail to re-attach on 6.2

On 3/31/07, Brian A. Seklecki <bseklecki@collaborativefusion.com> wrote:
> Can you show us your dmesg(8) output as you disconnect and reconnect a
> device.

Here you go:

(Connect)
umass1: vendor 0x0457 USB Mass Storage Device, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 3
da1 at umass-sim1 bus 1 target 0 lun 0
da1: <Flash Drive UT_USB20 0.00> Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
da1: 40.000MB/s transfers
da1: 1960MB (4014080 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 249C)

(Disconnect)
umass1: at uhub2 port 2 (addr 3) disconnected
(da1:umass-sim1:1:0:0): lost device
(da1:umass-sim1:1:0:0): removing device entry
umass1: detached

After I disconnect the drive the first time, no matter how many times I
reconnect or disconnect it, no other messages are added.

> Are you being careful to umount the file systems on these scsi devices
> between detaching the underlying USB device?

Right now I don't even mount it. I boot the system up, insert the drive,
give it a few seconds, and then remove it. After I've done this once,
attaching the drive a second time doesn't work.

- Max