Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2002 16:36:25 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Aaro J Koskinen <akoskine@cc.helsinki.fi>
To:        =?iso-8859-15?Q?Aur=E9lien?= Nephtali <aurelien.nephtali@wanadoo.fr>
Cc:        Sean Hamilton <sh@planetquake.com>, <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dmesg circular buffer

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, [iso-8859-15] Aurélien Nephtali wrote:

> It seems that on some machines, while rebooting, the memory
> where the kernel message buffer is stored, is not cleaned (on my laptop
> it's the case).
>
> If your computer has this *bug*, doing 'dmesg' will display all
> messages since you powered on you computer.
[...]
> PS: when i say 'memory problem', I don't really know if it's deliberate or not
> but I think it's not :p

It's not a bug. FreeBSD implements reboot by just reseting the CPU, not
the whole system. BIOS should not clear or test the memory in this
case. Sometimes it's desirable to leave memory as is. Unfortunately,
not all BIOS manufacturers agree with this.

A.

--
Aaro Koskinen
E-mail: aaro@iki.fi            "I'm the ocean, I'm the giant undertow."