Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:27:50 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, asami@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: how to tag ports before doing major changes and suggestion ...

--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 08:06:55PM +0200, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> Andreas Klemm wrote:
> Hm, what's the problem? You can always use -D cvs option to get=20
> version of the port just prior to your upgrade.=20
> No tag really necessary here.

o.k., thanks.

> > While I'm at it ...
> > I noticed, that some people use new naming conventions for
> > patches, by using descriptive names instead of the patch-xy
> > scheme.
>=20
> It's easier to preserve history with this scheme, [..]

Yes of course ;-)

> > How's the motivation to change existing port to that new scheme ?
> > Does the port maintainer simply move the file within the repository
> > or do I have to delete and add the patch under the new name ???
>=20
> You should ensure that the history is preserved, i.e. you have either
> ask repomeister to repo-copy existing patches into the corresponding=20
> ones with new names and only then remove old ones, or use old names
> for the old patches, and new conventions for the new patches.

O.k., so a mix as an intermediate solution would be acceptable ...

> I would suggest to take a look at my forthcoming patchtool
> tool (~sobomax/public_html/patchtool), that should simplify
> operations if you would prefer the latter way.

o.k., thanks. May I ask, what it helps me to do ?
Am currently stuck with gs 6.50 port update ...
After enabling nearly all devices linking fails
because of some strange compatibility stuff :-///

Now I have to find out which driver sucks it in .... *sigh*

	Andreas ///

--=20
Andreas Klemm - Powered by FreeBSD 4.2 SMP
Need a magic printfilter today ? -> http://www.apsfilter.org/

--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW

--ew6BAiZeqk4r7MaW--