Date:      Fri, 26 Sep 2003 05:42:32 +0000 (UTC)
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        RJ <bsd@tyndall.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install problem on a AX1105

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, RJ wrote:

Hi,

> I have a rackmount AX Ultra IIe that is giving FreeBSD panics during the
> install, or should I say boot, because I dont get that far.  It
> stops with a "PCI bus A" error.

I am new to sparcs but I had the same problem last days.
To successfully install a 5.1-REL on a IDE disk I had to stop boot
when it counts from 10 to 1 before loader executes boot and do a
	set hw.ata.ata_dma=0
and then continue boot with
	boot

After installation you most likely will have to write
	hw.ata.ata_dma=0
to your /boot/loader.conf.local

But it didn't always help. a pkg_add -r  for X clients panic()ed the
machine anyway :(

I also did a cross build for HEAD for sparc64 because there is a patch
commited about this
	panic: pcib: PCI bus A error AFAR 0x1fe020003f8 AFSR 0x100000000
I think but I couldn't boot the ISOs after I finished a make release
cycle (had to patch some parts of make release around /dev/md).
Always said 'Not ufs'.

I would also like to find a better solution for this to get the
machine stable so any suggestions are welcome though I will most
likely not be able to test anything the next three weeks.

--
Greetings

56 69 73 69 74				http://www.zabbadoz.net/