Date:      Mon, 07 Jun 1999 20:18:07 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /usr/ports: recursive "make fetch"?

On my dialup connection I'd like to be able to prefetch all the
elements of a complex port such as /usr/ports/x11/kde11. Then drop the
line. And *then* compile.

"make fetch" does not recurse into the sub-ports of a combinded port
such as kde11. I'm interested in a fetch which walks the tree much like
"make clean".

Currently "make install" fetches as needed, compiles, fetches,
compiles, etc.

Right now I'm manually prefetching while kde11 is compiling.

ports(7) lists some interesting targets. "fetch-list" doesn't seem to
work, else I simply don't understand its output:

nospam: {1091} pwd
/home/ports/misc/kdeutils11
nospam: {1092} make fetch-list
/usr/bin/env /usr/bin/fetch -A ftp://ftp.us.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/1.1.1/distrib
ution/tar/generic/source/bz2/kdeutils-1.1.1.tar.bz2  ||echo kdeutils-1.1.1.tar.b
z2 not fetched
nospam: {1093} make depends-list
make: don't know how to make depends-list. Stop
nospam: {1094} make package-depends
giflib-3.0
XFree86-3.3.3.1
jpeg-6b
qt-1.42
Mesa-3.0
XFree86-3.3.3.1
XFree86-3.3.3.1
kdelibs-1.1.1
giflib-3.0
XFree86-3.3.3.1
jpeg-6b
png-1.0.3
tiff-3.4b37
jpeg-6b
qt-1.42
Mesa-3.0
XFree86-3.3.3.1
XFree86-3.3.3.1
nospam: {1095}

"depends-list" is documented but apparently no longer exists.
"package-depends" is interesting in that its listing the ports needed.
Listed by package name and not ports directory.  :-(