Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:14:49 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding to periodic/weekly

In the last episode (Jul 28), Sue Blake said:
> I want to add some maintenance tasks to be run weekly (maybe daily
> ones too). There seem to be at least five ways to do this:
>
> Just add it to the system crontab
>  - Can run at a different time, if necessary. Leaves periodic unmolested.
>  - Separates it from other weeklies, could become lost or confusing.
>
> Put it in a numbered file under /usr/local/etc/periodic/weekly/
>  - This seems to be what it's intended for, but nobody said I could
>  - Path is already in rc.conf but doesn't exist, not sure why not used
>  - Can't find doc on its use, e.g. run in path order? unique numbers required?

These are probably the best options.  Option #1 is good for systems
that already use /etc/crontab a lot; Option #2 is good if you want to
be able to add/remove/modify your cron entry programmatically.  Note
that the periodic/* files will all fire around the same time (one after
another).  If you want something to fire every Wednesday, for example,
you'll have to put it in a crontab.

The numbers are simply execution order, lowest to highest.  Duplicates
are allowed; execution order if two entries have the same number is
undefined.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com