Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 1998 13:16:56 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Bill/Carolyn Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SysV Init

On Thu, Nov 19, 1998 at 07:20:51AM -0500, Bill/Carolyn Pechter wrote:
> I was looking to do this as a port of the SysV init, getty and
> hopefully one day package tools.  If we got SVR4 or Solaris X86
> emulation we'd be set.
>
> My plan was two sysctl variables for current and past run state.
> This would avoid the need for a utmp change.
>
> kern.current_runlevel
> kern.prev_runlevel
>
> The who command would also be need modified to support who -R and
> read the kern.current_runlevel variable.

If you seriously believe you will get kernel changes into FreeBSD to support
SysV runlevels, then I'd advise you to change your beliefs.  It will not
happen.  Kernel changes are not necessary; what is necessary is service
logging, and each state containing a list of which services it contains.
When you change state, you just do a transition (killing the services you
don't really have in there).  The information to be able to do this is
encoded in the proposal I sent -hackers - code is at
	http://www.freebsd.org/~eivind/newrc.tar.gz
though this doesn't log.

Eivind.