Date:      Wed, 7 May 1997 23:38:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   fatal trap during boot

I had some other problems (I think a disk drive went bad), so I had to
reload DOS 6 and the NT bootstrap loader onto a new disk.  I installed
the Boot-Eazy 1.7 bootloader onto the new disk after installing DOS 6
and NT, and now I can't boot SMP.  I get the following error:

Fatal trap 9: general protection fault while in kernel mode
cpunumber=0
instruction ptr = 0x8:0cf02083ea
stack ptr = 0x10:0xf4cd5eac
frame ptr = 0x10:0xf4cd5efc
code segment = base 0x0 limit 0xfffff type 0x1b
             = DPL 0 pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL
current process = 6 (CPUIDLE1)
interrupt mask =
kernel: type 9 trap, code = 0
stopped at _sccnputc+0x22 repe movsl (%es1), %es:(%edi)

It happens right after it lists the interrupts.

I'm able to boot with a kernel that is identical exact that the SMP
options are disabled.  The kernel was originally from Saturday, but I
rebuilt it from code cvsupped this afternooon.

Any suggestions?  NT seems to be running OK, and tells me that it's
running 2 CPU kernel.

I've already sent this to the freebsd-smp, but nobody's had any
ideas.  Can someone who knows more about hardware fill me in on what a
GPF type 9 trap means?  Thanks.