Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 2015 21:33:26 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: frequency of pkg updates

On 2015/01/21 19:17, David Newman wrote:
> How often is the FreeBSD pkg repository updated?
>
> Asking because 'sudo pkg audit' sometimes shows vulnerabilities in one
> or more packages, yet 'sudo pkg update && sudo pkg upgrade -f <pkg
> name>' offers only to reinstall the vulnerable version.
>
> An updated pkg can take days to show up. The ports tree is updated much
> faster, but I'm trying to move to pkg where possible. (Yes, I know I
> could run poudriere and create a pkg repository, but I'm asking here
> about FreeBSD's pkg system.)
>
> This is on 10.1-RELEASE-p4 amd64.

Packages are built weekly from a snapshot of the ports taken on a
Wednesday at (I think) 01:00 UTC.  It's definitely some time on
Wednesday though.  The package builders then build all of the packages
for all the supported release branches + HEAD, which takes until some
time the following weekend.

Thus if a package of interest to you updates on a Thursday, it can be
about 10 days before an updated package is available from the repos.

More hardware is being procured to cut down the time it takes to build
packages, so the update frequency should improve.

	Cheers,

	Matthew