Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 17:31:16 -0500
From:      "Jerry K. Schieffer" <schieffe@netcom.com>
To:        "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Adaptec 2842 SCSI controller issues

I haven't posted to any freebsd lists before, so if I am in the wrong place, please
let me know which list this ought to be directed to.  I chose this one since I
recall having seen similar postings here in the last few days.

I am having problems with a configuration as follows:
486/66 VL mainboard
VL EIDE controller
Adaptec 2842 (VL) SCSI controller
etc.

FreeBSD 2.1.7.1+ CTM fixes from src-2.1.0284xEmpty.gz through src-2.1.0299.gz
used to build kernel.  During boot, the AHA controller seems to hang after
hardware resets (more details in a moment), but all seems to work if I
boot DOS first (DOS is on the IDE drive, the AHA BIOS is disabled, DOS
loads the ASPI drivers v3.0) and then reboot using ctl-alt-del.  I ran a short
experiment to see what conditions failed and what didn't.  For now, I use
the workaround, but won't recover from a power fail restart.

Here is what happens - (Hope this helps)
Booting the system, three partitions on wd0 (root, usr, var ) get mounted
OK.
In the middle of mounts, mounts rwd0a, rwd0s2f, rwds2e  (all clean) should
go get sd0 stuff next - 1 partition.

Timedout SCB handled by another timeout
Timedout SCB handled by another timeout
Timedout SCB handled by another timeout
sd0(ahc0:0:0): SCB 0x0 - timed out in message phase, SCSISIGI == 0xe6
SEQADR == 0x16c
sd0(ahc0:0:0): abort message in message buffer
ahc0:a:0: Missed busfree.
sd0(ahc0:0:0): SCB 0x0 - timed out while idle, LASTPHASE == 0x1, SCSISIGI == 0xb
6
SEQADDR == 0x4
sd0(ahc0:0:0): no longer in timeout
ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset. 1 SCBs aborted

Then system hangs there.

reset to reboot
same results

power down and restart
same result

reset and boot dos
reset and boot FreeBSD
same result

reset and boot dos
dir d:
reset and boot FreeBSD
same result

reset and boot dos
ctl-alt-del
everything works

conclusion: must have something to do with hardware reset.

This same behavior was seen with a kernel including fixes thru ...94 also.

regards,
Jerry Schieffer
schieffe@netcom.com