Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 10:56:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Amir Y. Rosenblatt" <amir@neuron.net>
To:        lutz@muc.de (Lutz Albers)
Cc:        amir@neuron.net, jlwest@tseinc.com, freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dump/tape problems

> - I also found that I wasn;t able to do a restore after I dumped a
> - filesystem (though I haven't yet tried it with this specific set of
> - settings).  I'm also not 100% sure I have the right DIP switch settings.
> - Does anyone here know what they might be?
>
> What messages do you get while restoring ? Whats not working ? A few more
> details might be nice :-)

When I did the original restores I got the ever-informative error
message:

Input/output error

As I mentioned in my original post, small tars worked fine (it had no
problem untarring the actual FreeBSD installation) but when I trieds to
untar a tarfile of the whole system (I had temporarily given up on
dunp/restore and decided to just go with tar for the moment) I got the
following errors:

st0: 65536-byte record too big
tar: read error on /dev/rst0: Input/output error

Then I got two console messages, both reading as follows:

/kernel: st0 65536-byte record too big

I attempted to list the contents of the tape, using "tar -tvf /dev/rst0"
and that worked fine.  But I was still unable to untar the contents of
the tape.  I don;t now if this error has anything to do with the
dump/restore problem or is linked to some sort of system file-size limit
or something of the sort.  The system tarfile was ~450 meg.

	-Amir