Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 13:35:07 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Paul Traina <pst@Shockwave.COM>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tasd 3.5

> I realize the driver is a mess, *but* I would strongly suggest you make MINIMAL
> changes to the driver to fix it.

> We don't own TASD and you shouldn't make changes as if you think you
> do own it.

As of now, we *OWN* TASD.  See below.

> I'm really sick and tired of seeing people hack the living shit out of
> 3rd party code and then it becomes unmaintainable when that 3rd party
> makes changes.

You must have missed the discussion where the author of TASD is no
longer supporting it.  He now works for a commercial company with a very
obnoxious copyright which makes it impossible for any of his 'new' code
to ever be integrated into FreeBSD.  So, the latest release of TASD
(3.5) is the last release.  Because of that, we are now free to hack the
snot out of it and fix the bugs and such in it.

What was formerly supported 3rd party code is now un-supported/no longer
updated code which we are free to do with as we please.

Nate