Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 2002 22:24:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: find case-insensitive challenge [cut/sed]

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2002-09-22 21:53, Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com> wrote:
> > That leads me to wonder about using "rev" to reverse the order of
> > characters on the line and "cut" using a field delimiter of "."  :)  :)
> You probably could, and then use rev to fix the lines back to their
> normal form too. `rev | cut -d. -f2- | rev`

I definitely favor "cut."  How common across the various Unices/Unixes is
cut, that is, does Sun/Solaris or Linux come with cut included?

> You can do that with sed(1) too, though: `sed -e 's/\.[^.]*$//'`

Can you say in poor-man's terms what the above line does?  I used to use
`sed -e 's/this/that/g'` often but haven't for a few years now.  The way I
would remember the command was "sed edit substitute this for that _g_ood
we're done" even though I am aware the g is for global.

> Both of these should strip the `.xxx' extension of all input lines.
> Then, there's Perl, awk, and a few other tools.  Practically unlimited
> ways of doing the same thing :)
> Giorgos.

I wonder if there is a book just chock full of sed, awk, cut, and perl
examples dissected into layman's terms... :)  Maybe an ORA.COM book?

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder