Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 1999 14:53:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Todd Backman <tbackman@c523578-a.sttls1.wa.home.com>
To:        daniel B <danielb@pacex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Finding what user's previous password was.

It is gone.

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, daniel B wrote:

> Hi fellow ISPs;
>
> I need to find out what a user's previous password (the one before the
> current user's password) was because I have a customer who had problem
> loging to our system because of incorrect password and the customer
> inssists that he did not forget his password. For now I have reset his
> password (by taking a laptop to his office and loging to server through
> ssh and let him punch his new password so only he knows it).
> However I need to convince (and restore his confidence on our operations)
> this customer that he realy did lose his password.
> Where in the FreeBSD system files can I find clues as to what his
> previous password was? I know a FreeBSD system keeps track of
> all activities and has answers to almost everything, well hope somebody
> has run in to this problem before I did and has clue for me.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dan

Todd Backman                               "there are two major products
<tbackman@c523578-a.sttls1.wa.home.com>     that came out of berkley:
Geek and FreeBSD user                       lsd and unix.
Seattle, WA                                 we don't believe this to be
"Chaos is a good teacher..."                a coincidence." j.s.anderson