Date:      Tue, 7 May 2002 10:49:18 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, arch@FreeBSD.org, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: syscall changes to deal with 32->64 changes.

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 10:33:20AM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> Right.  I would like to use the ELF_ABI_OSVERSION thingie, but according to
> O'Brien it violates the ELF spec to use any value other than 0.

Not quite.  We cannot touch EI_VERSION (this is the ELF spec version).
We are able to play with EI_ABIVERSION since we also play with EI_OSABI.

EI_ABIVERSION
      Byte e_ident[EI_ABIVERSION] identifies the the version of the ABI
      to which the object is targeted. This field is used to distinguish
      among incompatible versions of an ABI. The interpretation of this
      version number is dependent on the ABI identified by the EI_OSABI
      field. Applications conforming to this specification use the value
      0

Well, it is a minor violation to use a non-0 value.  But what that really
means is that given a non-0 value, a generic ELF program manipulating the
binary cannot make general assumptions.